Work Fun

Personalize funny videos and birthday eCards at JibJab!

Thursday, July 24, 2008

Pioneer Trek 2008


"Maybe it was for us to come here and remember the faith of our fathers?
Maybe it's not a story of suffering but one of rescue?"

- Michael Spainhower


I just read an article that Tyler's non member boss gave to him from the Salt Lake Tribune about Pioneer Treks. The author, Jessica Ravitz went along and documented her experience and found out "What the heck is up with trek?!" She hit it dead on. After reading the article I really felt like I needed to update this post. I still haven't gotten pictures yet, and that is okay. I will add them when I do. But that quote above from the article hit home for me. Why did all the suffering and tragedy have to happen? I don't think there was one answer. But after what I experienced on my Trek Experience, I couldn't be more grateful for their legacy, their faith and how they endured to the end. Period. I don't think it was a story of suffering but a story of rescue. They found God in their experiences. And in mine I did too. I don't have the words to even express what I felt. But I am so glad I got to go, and if you ever get the chance, do it! It isn't that bad, and even if it is, you won't remember the bad parts. I had countless experiences that kept me going that I will keep forever in my heart. I learned about what sacrifice really is, what love really is, and what it means to know your Savior. The stories and places I visited have touched me for the rest of my life. I hope I can be as faithful, and show love and sacrifice for others as the pioneers did and how our Savior does for us. I have been still devouring pioneer stories since I have been home, they mean so much more to me now. I just cry as I read them. Amazing faith. The Pioneer Trek I experienced for me was definitely one of rescue. My rescue.
Did you know that the Rescue party from Salt Lake came upon the Willie Company first? They were ahead of the Martin Company. But not in any better condition. They were starving, they were cold, they were dying. The kids were licking the inside of the flour sacks for anything. The fact that the rescuers even found them in the winter storm was a miracle in and of itself. And when they did, they killed all their cattle and ate and found hope that it was almost over, the rescue party was just ahead. And then they told the rescue party to go on and help the Martin Company. As awful and hard and as miserable as they were, I cannot even comprehend, they showed love and sacrifice and said, no go on, we'll be fine, help the Martin Company, they are worse off then us. In so many ways that touches my heart. Being on the banks of the Sweetwater river where that occurred was so sacred for me. What an experience and one that I hope I never will forget. Pioneer Trek 2008. I don't have any other words to describe but...amazing. 8/28/08

2 comments:

Devon said...

It was good to see you guys yesterday. When we went back inside Rusty said, "Emma sure cute!" and I would have to agree.

Sean, Siri, Addie and Connor said...

Hi Grove Family.

This is Siri. I was blog hopping and saw you guys. Your family is so cute.

Siri

seanandsiri.blogspot.com

Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie
Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie
DaisypathAnniversary Years Ticker